Welcome To The Food World!!!

Monday, December 26, 2011

Broccoli Rice Burrito Recipe

I am telling you… broccoli is everywhere and cheap. So I need to cook off all this broccoli before it goes bad on me.
As the official caterer to my mom and aunt while my grandma was in the hospital, I decided to make something they would both enjoy, knowing how picky and particular my aunt is about vegetarian food. She says she likes it… but then she has certain rules like she only eats avocados with rice… go figure!!!
These burritos are super easy to make… their portable and can be eaten warm or at room temperature. But warm are better in my opinion. Perfect for a picnic, brown-bag lunch and even to bring to someone in the hospital…
Broccoli Rice Burrito
½ broccoli head, florets only
½ cup cooked whole grain rice
2 ounces of cream cheese
1/3 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup of toasted walnuts
2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves
8 slices of tomato
4 tbs of Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 whole grain flour tortillas or flatbreads
In a medium covered skillet with about ¼ cup of water, add the cooked rice and the broccoli florets. Cover the skillet and over medium heat that bit of water will steam both the rice and the broccoli. After about 10 minutes, just turn off the stove and the rice and broccoli will be done.
Drain any excess water, but there usually isn’t any every time I make it this way. In that same skillet add a drizzle of olive oil, the cream cheese, parmesan, walnuts. Season with salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
You can warm up the tortillas or the flatbreads if you’d like… I do it on the oven or in a skillet, depending on which ones I’ll use. Sometimes, the flatbreads are just perfect as is.
Place about ¼ cup of rice on each tortilla/flatbread. Spread 1tbs of tomatillo salsa over it. Top with the baby spinach and tomato slices. Roll up the tortilla/flatbread and wrap in parchment paper before you put any aluminum foil over it. This way you’ll be able to stick them in the oven to warm up and they’ll stay warm for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment